Is it difficult to export commercial product to Vietnam?
Selling your commodity and product to Vietnam, a country seem to be faraway and uncovered, is it somehow complicated and risky?
Following information will help you for further understanding
What is not allowed to import?
Every country has its own law and that’s why a kind of popular commodity in this country can be prohibited in other country.
Please do not export to Vietnam:
- Weapons, ammunition, explosive materials, assorted firecrackers
- Second-hand consumer goods, electronic and telecommunication equipment
- Publications in the category prohibited from dissemination and circulation in Vietnam (e.g. pornography, gambling, …)
- Right-hand-drive motor vehicles
- Second-hand materials and transport facilities
- Chemicals stipulated in Annex III of Rotterdam Convention
- Plant protection agents prohibited from use in Vietnam
- Scrap and waste, refrigerating equipment using C.F.C
- Type 1 toxic chemicals stipulated in the Treaty Prohibiting development, production, storage, use and destruction of Chemical Weapons
If you do not wish to send above commodity, congratulation and please come to the next step,
origin of commodity and current applicable import duties
Free Trade Agreement bewteen Vietnam and other countries
Vietnam currently has FTA with countries and area that you can take the advantage of reducing the duties while increasing
margin and competitiveness
You will get favorable import tariff if commodity is originated from the following countries and area:
ASEAN: ATIGA agreement
INDIA: ASEAN - India fre trade agreement
AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND: ASEAN – Australia, New Zealand (AANZFTA)
KOREA: ASEAN - Republic of Korea Free Trade Area
JAPAN: ASEAN - Japan Free Trade Area
CHINA: ASEAN - China free trade agreement
CHILE: Vietnam - Chile free trade agreement (VCFTA)
KOREA: Vietnam - Korea free trade agreement
RUSSIA, ARMENIA, BELARUS, KAZAKHSTAN, KYRGYZSTAN: EAEU – Vietnam Free Trade Agreement
EU: Vietnam - EU free trade agreement (EVFTA)
How can you find the tariff ? Is your price competitive ?
H.S Code and relevant duties
The Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System generally referred to as "Harmonized System" or simply "HS"
is a multipurpose international product nomenclature developed by the World Customs Organization (WCO)
The system is used by more than 200 countries and economies as basis for their customs tariffs and for the collection of
international trade statistics. However, only 6-digit code is the same for all countries while 8-10 digit code may be explained
differently among countries
In Vietnam, 8-digit H.S code is minimum requirement for declaration and classification
How the procedure will be done ?
Currently, e-customs is compulsory in Vietnam for almost all types of import – export (commercial or non-commercial,
permanent or temporary, transit or direct transport, etc...). Following the regulation, each importer / exporter must have ID
and digital signature for submission in the portal of customs office. However, hard copy of customs form, packing list,
nvoice and related document is still required upon final clearance
Non-resident without import-export I.D can can only declare through a customs brokerage services
Any free duties?
Duties Exempt Goods ?
In certain situations, imported goods are exempt from tax & duties, these include the following:
- Goods temporarily imported for re-export or temporarily exported for re-import
- Goods imported for processing for foreign partners then exported or goods exported to foreign countries for processing for Vietnam then re-imported under processing contracts
- Goods imported to create fixed assets for projects entitled to investment incentives or investment projects funded with official development assistance (ODA) capital sources
- Goods imported in service of petroleum activities
- Goods imported for direct use in activities of scientific research and technological development